Masseria Santo Stefano is an old mansion house dating back to the XVII century built by the Tarsia family on a nucleus of pre-existing and more ancient rural buildings.
According to an old popular legend, the Benedictine monks recovered in the Masseria in 1365 to protect the Saint Stefano’s remains from the continuous Turkish and pirates’attacks.
During the following years the Masseria has been expanded. The original structure consisted only of the ground floor, used for agricultural activities, with an area for the stables, one for the storehouses for the grain and the agricultural tools and one for the farmers’ houses.
Later, the first floor has been built to realize the residence of the owner family, which included bedrooms, toilets and a kitchen, all made with stones.
Since the second World War the stables have been converted into a living area, after the disappearance of the farm animals.
Moreover, the storehouse, used to stock the agricultural products, has been transformed into a hall for ceremonies and private parties.
Then, the Masseria has hosted a lot of happy events, as the weddings of the two current owners and sisters, Dora Paola and Annamaria.